Tip: There are many topping suggestions below to accommodate different tastes. Each topping recipe will make one full batch of 20 muffins. You can mix and match toppings per batch and adjust quantities as necessary.
Servings Makes approximately 20 pancake muffins
Prep Time Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pancake topping (see below)
- Chef’s Tip: Store-bought pancake mix can also be used. Try to make a slightly thicker batter for best results.
Apple and Crumb Topping
- 2 apples, coarsely grated (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1. Toss apples and 1/4-tsp cinnamon together and divide equally among muffin cups, spooned over batter.
2. In a clean bowl, combine remaining 1/4-tsp cinnamon with flour, brown sugar and butter. Use a fork or a pastry blender to mix until mixture resembles a coarse crumb. Sprinkle over top of apple mixture.
Maple Bacon Topping
- 8 slices bacon
- 3 tbsp plus 2 tsp maple syrup
1. Cook bacon in a skillet, set over medium heat, until golden brown and crispy, about 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels and crumble into small pieces.
2. Divide bacon equally among muffin cups, sprinkled over batter. Drizzle 1/2-tsp maple syrup over top of bacon.
Blueberry Brown Sugar Topping
- 1 1/4 cup small fresh blueberries (if frozen, thaw first)
- 1/3 cup plus 4 tsp brown sugar
- Directions: Spoon 1 tbsp blueberries over batter and sprinkle 1 tsp brown sugar over blueberries in each muffin cup.
Banana Chocolate Chip Topping
- 1 cup diced banana
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Directions: Spoon 1 tbsp chocolate chips and 1 tbsp banana over batter in each muffin cup.
Spicy Sausage and Cheddar Topping
- 2 turkey sausages, removed from casing, (about 8 oz)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch dried chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup finely grated old cheddar cheese
- Directions: In a skillet, set over medium heat, add sausage, oil and chili flakes. Cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon until cooked through. Drain on paper towels. Divide equally and spoon sausage over batter in muffin cups. Sprinkle with cheese.
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 20 standard-sized muffin tins with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt and whisk together until blended.
In another bowl, combine milk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla and stir. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with a spatula until just combined. Spoon 1/3-cup batter into each muffin cup and top with desired topping.
Bake until puffed and light golden brown, about 8-9 minutes
Photography by Carlo Mendoza