NOTE: We are offering two different types of internships, for the website or the magazine. Candidates must be available to work out of our office, located in downtown Toronto.
Editorial Internship – CanadianFamily.ca
We have two internships running concurrently at all times. Our ideal candidates:
- are interested in pursuing a well-rounded experience in all aspects of a magazine website: producing content, online publishing, social networking, search engine optimization, information architecture, usability and more.
- have graduated from online publishing, journalism or media programs, or are in their final years of their programs (equivalent experience is also acceptable)
- are passionate about the web and are already plugged in to social networking in their daily lives
- have some experience or knowledge of the fact-checking process
- are personable, flexible and quick on their feet
- approach each task, no matter how important or menial, with the same dedication, enthusiasm and attention to detail
- fact-checking, research and proofreading
- photo editing
- some content writing (articles, slideshows, recipes) as necessary
- building content from the magazine for use online
- helping to update social media outlets
- helping to manage contest offerings
- attending press functions and media events as required
- administrative support to editorial team as required
To find out when the next internship is available, send your resume, cover letter and three writing samples to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Note that only those who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
Editorial Internship – Canadian Family Magazine
We have two internships running concurrently in three-month cycles throughout the year. Our internships are unpaid and require a full-time commitment from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (one hour for lunch) at our office in Toronto, at 111 Queen Street East, Suite 320.
The ideal candidate:
- Has a degree in journalism/publishing or equivalent, or is in their final year of one of these programs.
- Is personable and a flexible self-starter who will take on any task—regardless of how exciting or menial—with enthusiasm.
- Has a good eye for detail, is adaptable and can think quickly on his/her feet.
- Is good with researching, writing and hunting down people by phone.
Additional experience within the industry is an asset. And, of course, an interest in kids and kid-related stuff is also very helpful.
- Product sourcing
- Research and writing
- Helping to coordinate our family testing of recipes and products
- Participation in brainstorming sessions for future issues
To find out when the next internship is available, send your resume, cover letter and three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Editorial Internship” in the subject line. We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
St. Joseph Media is Canada’s largest privately owned consumer magazine publisher providing readers with the best Canadian magazines and advertisers with the highest concentration of educated, affluent, urban readers. Our brands include award-winning titles such as Toronto Life, Torontoist.com, FASHION Magazine, Weddingbells, MARIAGE Québec, Canadian Family, WHERE Canada magazines, Ottawa Magazine and Quill & Quire.