Happy Earth Day everyone! Earth Day is a great day to explain to kids the importance of being good to our planet so everyone can enjoy it for generations to come. We try and practice good habits every day of the year, but Earth Day helps us look at what we’re doing and see if we can do anything better. I made this cute little snack for the kids as a reminder to love the Earth. It’s really easy to make if you have a couple small heart cutters. If you try and cut these hearts by hand, it will take a bit longer.
What you’ll need:
1. Slice your cucumber into thin rounds. Take your larger heart cutter and cut hearts out of the cucumber. If your heart cutter is the right size, all that should be left is the skin.
2. Take the remaining skin and using your smallest heart cutter, cut several hearts out of the skin.
3. Grab your slice of red apple, and using the larger heart cutter, cut out 1 heart.
4. On a plate, place the largest pretzel stick as a tree trunk and the 2 mini pretzel sticks as tree branches.
5. Arrange your cucumber hearts around the tree and put your 1 red apple heart in there too.
This snack was really easy to make and helps deliver a great message to our children to be good to the Earth. Happy Earth Day!
Jill Dubien is a working mom who loves to craft and cook with her kiddos in her spare time. She has an awesome and supportive husband and 2 wonderful kids—a daughter who is 4 and a son who is 3. Before she had kids, Jill couldn’t cook much of anything except toast and cereal, and really despised being in the kitchen. Jill blogs at Meet the Dubiens, where she shares lots of fun foods and crafts for kids. You’ll find more of her cute recipe ideas here.