By Jill Dubien
My kids just love fun sandwiches. Don’t get me wrong, they’ll still eat “plain” sandwiches any day, but I usually make them a fun lunch or snack at home once a week and they look forward to it sooooo much. They just loved everything about this cute little doggy sandwich. It was really simple to make and I didn’t use any fancy tools to make it. All you need is a good kitchen knife and you’re ready to go!
What you’ll need:
1. Assemble your sandwich with the sandwich filling of your choice. Place your sandwich on a plate.
2. Slice about a 4-inch piece off your cucumber. Slice this 4-inch piece in half and then thinly slice 2 slices from the centre. These will be your dog’s ears. You can use your knife to carve them into more of a rounded ear shape if you wish. Slice a thin slice off the un-sliced piece of cucumber for the dog’s eye patch.
3. Take your 2 sliced black olives and place them on the dog for the eyes.
4. Slice a thin slice off your baby carrot and place it in the dog for the nose.
5. Slice a thin slice off your green onion and place it on the dog sandwich for the mouth.
6. Finally, using your knife, slice a tongue shape out of your slice of red pepper or tomato. I also ran my knife down the centre of this slice (without slicing through it) to create a tongue-effect. Place this tongue on your doggy.
So cute and so easy and it really doesn’t require any fancy tools to make it. Your kids are absolutely going to love it!
Jill Dubien is a working mom who loves to craft and cook with her kiddos in her spare time. She has an awesome and supportive husband and 2 wonderful kids—a daughter who is 4 and a son who is 3. Before she had kids, Jill couldn’t cook much of anything except toast and cereal, and really despised being in the kitchen. Jill blogs at Meet the Dubiens, where she shares lots of fun foods and crafts for kids. You’ll find more of her cute recipe ideas here.