Take a walk on the DIY side, and make some holiday gifts this year. Homemade gifts are personal, fun and cheap. We've got ones for the sewer, baker and craft queen in all of you!
Homemade Fudge Sauce
1/3 cup golden brown sugar
¼ cup unsweetened baking cocoa powder, sifted
¼ tsp salt
pinch ground cinnamon
¾ cup water
½ cup golden corn syrup
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chips or chopped (about 1 ¼ cups)
2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1. Combine the brown sugar, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and break up any lumps.
2. Add water and corn syrup and place over medium heat until mixture comes to a gentle boil, stirring and scraping pot often with spatula.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and let cool slightly, about 3 minutes.
4. Stir chocolate into cocoa mixture, mixing well until melted.
5. Add butter and stir until dissolved and sauce is glossy.
6. Use immediately or divide mixture between two glass jars and let cool.
7. Cover tightly and refrigerate.
To Reheat: Place jar in bowl of hot water until melted (don’t allow any water into the chocolate!), or warm uncovered in microwave, cooking on medium heat in 30-second intervals until desired consistency is achieved. Fudge sauce will keep 5 days, tightly sealed in the refrigerator, or can be frozen until needed.
Chef's Tip: For a richer sauce, use 35% whipping cream instead of water.
Recipe by Paula Bowman. Photography by Michael Alberstat. Food styling by Claire Stubbs. Prop styling by Arren Williams.