"The recipe was very easy to prepare and our kids enjoyed helping. When you have a bigger family, that's really important." - Dawn Ward, mom of Corryn, 12, Jayden, 10, Hailey, 9, and Jonathan, 8, Medicine Hat, Alta.
Prep to table: 20 minutes
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked*
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced dried apricot slivers
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cauliflower florets, blanched
- 1/2 cup almond slivers, toasted
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
Mix curry, cumin, vinegar, oil, orange juice, ginger and salt. Set aside. In a serving bowl, combine all remaining ingredients including dressing. Stir gently to mix, adding salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
*To cook quinoa, cover it with twice its volume in water (in this case, 2 cups), bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
Nutrients Per Serving
Nutrients per serving 437 calories, 21 g fat, 136 mg calcium, 302 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrates, 9 g fibre, 12 g protein. Excellent source of vitamin A, folate, vitamin C, iron and zinc.