By Jill Dubien
Summer is one of my most favourite seasons of the year because of the all the fresh fruits and veggies available to us. I love fresh melon, and so do my kids. It’s really easy to make melon kebabs—all you need is fresh melon and a small cookie cutter. Any shape will do, but I chose hearts. I served my melon kebabs with a side of yogurt for dipping. This made for an excellent snack for the kids (and my hubby and I too!) Here is how you make them:
What you’ll need:
1. Using your knife, slice each of the melons in half. Scoop the seeds out of the honeydew and cantaloupe, and discard the seeds.
2. Using your knife again, slice your melons into 1-inch thick slices. You’ll need a couple of slices from each melon.
3. Using your small cookie cutter, cut shapes out of your slices of melon.
4. Take your wooden skewer and thread the melon onto the skewer. I also threaded a blueberry onto the skewers in between each melon piece.
5. Serve the melon skewers with a side of yogurt for dipping.
Disclaimer: Wooden skewers are sharp, and small children will need to be supervised while eating this snack.
Happy melon eating!
Jill Dubien is a working mom who loves to craft and cook with her kiddos in her spare time. She has an awesome and supportive husband and 2 wonderful kids—a daughter who is 4 and a son who is 3. Before she had kids, Jill couldn’t cook much of anything except toast and cereal, and really despised being in the kitchen. Jill blogs at Meet the Dubiens, where she shares lots of fun foods and crafts for kids. You’ll find more of her cute recipe ideas here.