Here is another healthy and refreshing summer snack. This adorable little caterpillar was a hit with the kids and was really simple to make. I used a few pieces of fresh fruit and veggies that I had on hand and threw together this little caterpillar in minutes. The kids gobbled it right up!
I like to leave the peel on the orange and banana because the kids enjoy peeling it themselves. If your kids don’t, you might want to peel the fruit before you serve it to them, or make small cuts in the peel so your kids can easily peel it themselves.
What you’ll need:
1. Using your knife, slice your banana into thin slices. Arrange these banana slices on your plate to look like a caterpillar’s body.
2. Place the orange slice on your plate in front of the caterpillar’s body for the head.
3. Using your knife and your slice of green apple, cut out 4 legs. Place these legs on your caterpillar.
4. Use 2 blueberries for the eyes and 2 matchstick carrots for the antennae.
5. Use your jam in a squeeze bottle and draw on a smile and some cute little cheeks.
6. Lay some fresh baby spinach leaves down on the bottom of the plate, beneath the caterpillar.
Enjoy this refreshing summer fruit and veggie treat!
Jill Dubien is a working mom who loves to craft and cook with her kiddos in her spare time. She has an awesome and supportive husband and 2 wonderful kids—a daughter who is 4 and a son who is 3. Before she had kids, Jill couldn’t cook much of anything except toast and cereal, and really despised being in the kitchen. Jill blogs at Meet the Dubiens, where she shares lots of fun foods and crafts for kids. You’ll find more of her cute recipe ideas here.